Cooking with your Kids + Recipes
Cooking with kids is fun and easy. These simple recipes from Handstand Kids Cooking Company will have you and your kids in the kitchen cooking and having fun together in no time! HKCC is dedicated to safe and interactive cooking instruction, as well as healthy and wholesome recipes that are fun to create!
Here's a creative spin on their classic Apple Soda recipe:
1 Large apple (green for a tart bite, red for a sweet bite!)
1 large bottle 100% Organic Apple Juice (not from concentrate)
1 large bottle of sparkling water
1 bunch fresh mint
Ice (as you like it!)
1 large pitcher
Spoons for stirring
1. Rinse and slice your apple.
2. Rinse mint; pat dry
2. Add 1 cup Sparkling Water for every 2 cups Apple Juice to a pitcher
3. Plop in apple slices (careful not to spill!)
4. Pour Apple Soda into each drinking glass, over ice. Be sure to get 1-2 apple slices in!
5. Tear of mint leaves; garnish each drink
6. Stir well and enjoy! Don't forget to finish your apple slices at the end!
Depending on ages (no choking, please!), garnishing with apple shavings adds a beautiful touch. Want even more fun? Instead of serving over ice, freeze your apple slices ahead of time and make Apple Ice Cubes! Plus, this recipe is also great to freeze into popsicle mold- "julienne" the apples for a stunning fruit popsicle.
Books and Cookies paired with Handstand Kids for a Big Kids Cooking Class a while back, and we still remember how much fun everyone had baking a YUMMY and healthy fresh apple crisp! We prepped it together and then read stories while it cooked in our little oven! We strongly recommend you try this at home.
Dutch Apple Pie Crisp
5 large apples, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 tablespoon honey or agave
Juice of 1 or 2 lemons (about 2 tablespoons)
1 cup old fashioned/whole oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (pastry or almond flour works best)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
2 large bowls
9-inch square baking pan or individual ramekins
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Chop apples into bite-sized pieces
3. In large bowl, combine apples, 1/2 cup of honey, lemon, and vanilla.
4. Pour into lightly greased 9-inch square baking pan.
5. In a separate bowl, mix oats, flour, cinnamon, and salt.
6. Crumb butter into oats mixture. Use your hands!
6. Pour remaining 1/2 cup agave or honey over mixture and spread evenly over applesin pan.
7. Bake for 30 minutes, until top is golden-brown.
8. Cool for 15 minutes, and enjoy!
Inspired by Handstand Kids
The Handstand Kids Cookbook Company creates interactive cookbook kits for kids that celebrate international culture and healthy cuisine. We loved pairing with them for our Big Kids Cooking Class!
By Samantha, Store Manager